Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Star Trek Beyond is the third installment of a modern take on the classic television show. Unlike the first two films, it is not directed by J. J Abrams, instead he takes a producer credit, and Justin Lin takes up the helm. (Fun Fact: J.J Abrams is on of my favorite directors).


Synopsis (from Google): A surprise attack in outer space forces the Enterprise to crash-land on a mysterious world. The assault came from Krall (Idris Elba), a lizard-like dictator who derives his energy by sucking the life out of his victims. Krall needs an ancient and valuable artifact that's aboard the badly damaged starship. Left stranded in a rugged wilderness, Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and the rest of the crew must now battle a deadly alien race while trying to find a way off their hostile planet.


Plot: I’ve always found the Star Trek series to open up with thrilling scenes. Star Trek Beyond is no different. However, I do not in this section want to just vomit up a plot summary. I found Star Trek Beyond’s plot to be unpredictable Tin a good way and always kept my attention. I also enjoyed how there were a couple of subplots that did not interfere with the main plot but in fact enriched the overall story.


Cinematography: It’s safe to assume that a lot of CGI was used in the making of this film. (As of yet I have found no helpful sites that go into detail about how much CGI was used). Having said that, the CGI was so well done that if you did not know you were watching a movie you may think it was a real place. I thought the angles used were tasteful and depending on the scene gave it a life of its own. In other words nothing seemed dull.

Themes: The beginning of the movie highlights Kirk’s thoughts and feelings about how he has now lived longer than his father had. This idea drove his actions throughout the movie. The idea of right versus wrong was ever present during the film. From our heroes to our villain, this idea was debated.

Cast and Performance: Chris Pine played Captain James T. Kirk for the third time. He captured the spirit of the character well and it felt natural and unforced. I will never see Zachary Quinto as anyone else but Spock he plays him so well. Dr. ‘Bones’ McCoy (Karl Urban) was as witty as ever. For some reason Bones has always given me an Indiana Jones vibe… Obviously I cannot discuss all the characters, but no one comes to mind as being an unfit match. Idris Elba played the main villain, Krall. The Star Trek franchise seems to like casting Brits as the villains, but either way I thought he did a fabulous job.

Soundtrack: I have the soundtrack on my Spotify I love it so much. The main theme is so powerful that combined with the opening scene it gives you, or at least me, chills. Michael Giacchino has scored all three modern Star Trek movies, and every one is a masterpiece. My father, who grew up with the show, says that it reminds him a lot of the old TV show and movies. I particularly liked the use of the Beastie Boys’ song, Sabotage, as a plot device. Using music always enhances the movie, combining the sense of sight and hearing.

Overall Summation: Overall, I believe Star Trek Beyond is a fantastic movie worthy of praise and I will watch it many times again. Although it is worthy of note that I am a major nerd and fangirl and I adore the Star Trek franchise. The plot was intriguing,  cinematography was excellent, and the cast lived up to their previous two performances. Combining those factors with the beautiful soundtrack makes for an excellent movie.

This is my first review of this kind, and I hope I covered all the bases. If you have any advice or want to discuss the movie further, please leave a comment below. All unnecessary hate and troll comments will be deleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment